Mediterranean Crunch Salad



 I'm always looking to find new ways to be creative with salads.  I just love any type of salads, and not just the green leaf style. Garbanzos.  I came up with this one for my love of chickpeas.  It's super simple and quick to prepare, however does not taste like you just opened a can of garbanzos and threw them in the bowl.  There are probably a hundred variations that I can think to do with this salad staring garbanzos like adding fresh chopped strawberries or cherries that are in season now, but I'll start with this one! 

What you need:

~1 Can Garbanzos.  I have to add here that I prefer Goya brand because the consistency of theirs is very smooth and nutty tasting.  Other brands I have tried tend to be on the harder side and to me that makes a difference in the taste, ~especially~ if you are looking to make hummus.
~1/4 cup chopped red onion
~handful of sliced almonds (a little less then 1/4 cup or add more if you like)
~6 pitted Kalamata olives chopped
~1 clove garlic minced
~1 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
~1 Tsp of Djion mustard (Grey Poupon style)
~1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar.  A note about Balsamic vinegar, not all are created equal.  There is nothing like a good aged balsamic that has a thicker almost reduction style consistency.  My favorite is from Whole Foods and is local to CA called Napa Valley Naturals Balsamic, It's their grand reserve one although it doesn't say that on the label (pink and gold label) It was aged 18 years in cherry wood and is unfiltered and tastes like an elixir of yummyness!!!  I ran out one time and didn't have time to run to WF, so I tried a similar style found at Safeway and it did not compare at all.  So Now I just buy a couple to keep on hand.  It's a deal for $8.99 for 12.7oz, but tastes like those $50+ bottles.
~Handful of chopped fresh Basil
~Salt and pepper to taste
~1 Tsp sugar or 1 packet Splenda (optional) Use your judgement here with this one, if you feel it needs a touch of sweet, then go ahead and add. I like to add it since the Djion, garlic and onion are the spice components of this salad, so I like to offset it with the touch of sweet.

Let's get to work
Combine all the above and cover and put in the fridge for a few hours to marinate and meld all of those wonderful flavors together, then leave out for about 30 minutes before serving. Add chopped basil and a sprinkle of sliced almonds on top for presentation. Makes about 2 cups.



Comments

Post a Comment