Smoked Salmon Cakes

I have to say that smoked salmon is so comforting to me.  I love to eat it when offered at a breakfast buffet at finer hotels that serve it. My husband smiles as I pile it on my plate as he knows how much I love it.  I love it on a bagel with cream cheese and onion slices.  The smooth texture of smoked salmon just makes me close my eyes and just smile and take a deep breath.  I do have one stipulation when making it myself, it must, must be Alaskan Salmon.  I don't know why the fish from there tastes so extra yummy... it's very bold tasting without being too fishy and the texture is perfect for making salmon cakes.  Alaskan salmon actually is the only salmon with less fat. It's much brighter reddish orange than the average fattier salmon which is a much lighter pinkish reddish color and is easier to find at your local grocer. The average person prefers the lighter salmon over the Alaskan salmon because the fat tends to make it more flavorful.  But to me, there is more flavor in Alaskan salmon than the average salmon from elsewhere.  I dunno',  Just my foodie tongue...  I love smoked salmon rolled in chicken with spinach as well which is a recipe for another time. =)  My husband after the first bite of my salmon cakes turned to me after 2 minutes of silence and said, "I'm not being biased, this is truly a foodie dish...this is absolutely amazing." as he couldn't even put his fork down.  So yes, I will be serving these for our next foodie/wine party coming up in June.  If there is one thing I know how to do, is to make mouths happy. =D  So please try this recipe, as it's worth any extra efforts.  I have carefully measured each ingredient for perfection.


What you need for the salmon cakes:
This recipe will make 5 cakes
~3 Cups Alaskan smoked salmon (for my Swiss readers, the very best is from Migros market, in the package with the sauce, get 3 packs, but toss the sauce...blec!!)
~Juice of half of a fresh lemon
~2 Tbsp flour
~1 Tsp Old bay seasoning
~1 Tbsp Djion mustard
~10 Butter crackers smashed into crumbs
~1/2 Tsp Parsley flakes 


Let's get to work:
1) Stir all ingredients in a bowl and form into 5 patties and set on a plate (picture below) Looks like burger meat... =)
What you need for the coating:
~1 Egg beaten until almost frothy
~2 Tbsp flour in a bowl
~20 Butter crackers smashed to crumbs in a bowl and to that add 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp parsley flakes


Let's get to work:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1) Have 3 bowls, each with the above ingredients
2) Coat the salmon cakes with flour
3) Then dip in the egg
4) Then coat with cracker mixture
5) Set aside on plate
6) In hot hot pan, add about a Tbsp oil.  I like grapeseed oil as it's great for high heat cooking. 
7) Add salmon cakes and don't turn for about 2 minutes per side OR until golden
8) Place in an oven ready pan and bake for 20 minutes to get warmed throughout.  Salmon that's been smoked does not need to be cooked thoroughly, so just bake until warmed and serve with your favorite seafood sauce.  I have a recipe for one which I did not picture, but I will include it below.  It paired very well with the salmon and easy to do! Here is a picture of what they look like coated BEFORE baking...
What you need for the sauce:
~2 Tsp Djion mustard
~2 Tbsp full fat yogurt
~1 Tbsp low-fat Mayo
~1/4 Tsp old bay seasoning
~1/2 Tsp red pepper flakes
~1 Tsp Balsamic glaze
~Juice of half a lemon
~1 Tsp parsley flakes
~1 Tsp Ketchup


Let's get to work:
Whisk all ingredients together and serve with the salmon cakes.

Comments